Friday, May 20, 2005

Find out the source of Hillsong's annointing in an interview with Reuben Morgan

Interview with Reuben

Seeing the World Through Reubens eyes

With World Through Your Eyes due for release in the next few months in
the USA, Europe and beyond, Reuben has spent alot of time answering
questions about himself, the project and his views on life - we
thought that you may enjoy reading his ideas, conversion and first
ever album. Reuben is currently in the USA recording and attending
GMA.

1) When did you start writing songs?

Ever since I first picked up the guitar at six or seven years of age,
I have always loved writing. I used to spend time messing around on
the guitar and try to make up my own songs and little pieces- I
preferred doing that over what my teachers at school were giving me to
play. I was also involved in bands when I was growing up and used to
write some of the music that we'd play. When I got saved though, I
stopped doing all the bands and a lot of the music that I loved- my
life needed a bit of a change so music became a lot less of a priority
for me.

It was only when I started really getting into the worship at Hillsong
Church a number of years later that I ever even considered writing a
worship song or anything like that. I used to just sit in worship
services and feel so stirred to write and to write worship songs. I'd
find myself coming out of church with song ideas in my head- I just
started practicing and learning. Through this time, I guess I wrote
what you could call my official "first song"!

2) What was the first song you wrote?

One of my first worship songs was Lord I Give You My Heart- I wrote
this song while I was studying at the music institute. The week before
I had been travelling to minister somewhere with some friends and was
involved in a car accident… the kind that reminds you how fragile life
is. I remembered later that week I was writing and playing around with
a melodic idea that I had been working on and it was just like (for a
moment) I had tapped into this deeper well and I was singing "Lord I
give You my heart, I give You my soul" over and over. It's a prayer I
had been praying for a while and it all just fit together- one of
those songs that seemed to write itself.

3) How do you feel about the impact that your songs have had on people
such as Lord I Give You My Heart, Eagles Wings and My Redeemer Lives?

I see it as a real privilege. God has blessed our church in an
incredible way and the ministry of Bobbi & Brian, Mark and Darlene's
ministry and subsequently our worship team. It's incredible that these
songs that began as my own prayer and heart's desire would be the
prayer of many other people also.

4) What musical instruments can you play?

I now mostly play the guitar (acoustic) as it works the best as far as
worship leading goes but I have spent lots of time playing and
studying the electric. I mess around a bit on the piano but wouldn't
say that it's an instrument I can play!

5) What did you want to be or do before becoming a worship leader and
song-writer?

I have always wanted to play music- it's been a bit of a life long
thing for me… I don't know if I've ever imagined myself doing anything
else.

6) How long have you been involved with Hillsong? What has been the
different roles that you had been doing?

I have been at Hillsong church for about 10 years now. I have done
many different things such as choir, leading youth worship, answering
emails for Darlene, overseeing our musicians, pasturing and discipling
people, rostering, and whatever else was the go at the time- there's
always something that needs doing! I have been on staff now for about
7 years.

7) When did you first join Hillsong and how did come about?

In 1995, I moved from Melbourne to Sydney to study music. I had heard
about Hillsong church through some friends and started attending- not
long after that, I decided to make it my home church. I became
involved in the youth ministry and then became a part of the music
team- I've loved it ever since!

8) How is your first solo album World Through Your Eyes different to
any other Hillsong albums that you have been involved with?

It's a devotional album. When I set out to create the album, there
were a few things in my heart about it- one was that because of the
nature of how we come together as 'church', there are some themes that
have to be excluded.

Church isn't just Sunday, most of my songs thus far have been for
Sunday but this is for the rest of the week. World Through Your Eyes
is meant for picking up and putting it in your car and worshipping
God, worshipping God when you hear it on the radio, worshipping God in
your room- It's created for that format. That has meant for me that I
had more more melodic licence in creating the album that I usually
allow myself for church songs, more license for themes- the breadth of
the themes in the Psalms is massive and we don't cover all those
themes on Sunday.

My passion behind doing World Through Your Eyes was more diversity- it
covers more of my experience, the human experience, which I think is
what the Psalms do- they cover every human experience.

9) Tell about some of the songs on the album?

The songs on the album have been crafted over years- lots of thoughts
and ideas coming together. They are mostly songs that I wanted to
write but didn't intend for congregational worship so for me, they are
more personal even though I know that some of the song can and are
being used by people in church settings.

The song "World Through Your Eyes" for example is about being on the
mountain with God- it's all about intimacy and experiencing worship in
creation.
It's really meant to be a prayer prayed from this place that as I go
down the mountain from here, God would help me to see the world
through His eyes.

There is another song on the album called "Waterfall". This song is
all about the journey from being in a desperate place of feeling dry
before God and in need of Him (the desert place) to believing and
experiencing God's presence. His presence is like a waterfall- like
Niagra Falls- in God's presence all you want to do is cry "take me
deeper in love, take me deeper with you".